Sunday, March 6, 2011

Spring


It's almost here !
This lovely sculpture is in the Smith College museum and is called Spring. Following are a collection of images I have taken at various museums throughout this last year. I collect the pictures for inspiration, research on my projects and as gifts I send out to friends. I know I am not alone in my collecting. All the museums are ubiquitous with others doing the same. They are even posing in front of paintings or take snaps imitating the models or sculptures. I have started collecting images of the collectors, collecting and hope to put them together in a book. Yes... pictures of people taking pictures of pictures...??? I have yet to know how this will play out or exactly how I think about it... let me know.

This is one of the popular photo ops at the new American wing at Boston's MFA. (Notice that it is the same proportion as the iPhone.) The colors are not quite true. Try as I might, photo shop cannot recreate the beauty of this window. The glass in the gold fish bowl is smokey and milky. Enlarge and you can see how the colors are distortions and reflections of the branches around it...fantastic!

Louis Comfort Tiffany Parakeets and Goldfish bowl

The new American wing galleries recreate the various eras in American art and include furniture and objects as well as painting and sculpture. The framing on many of the paintings seems to be original and if not, are entirely appropriate as well. This painting goes out to my fellow artists Ellen and Arthur who are big Sheeler fans.

Charles Sheeler Iron and Ore 1953

Athur Chartow also paints the industry of America though the feel is radically different from the optimism of Sheeler's time. Connect to his site at: http://www.arthurchartow.com

Arthur Chartow View of Zug Island 2009

Also at the MFA in the Japanese gallery is a display of tea ceremony bowls and implements and this is a basket that would be used to hold a flower arrangement. It looks like it has clay in it but that is not in the descriptor with the piece. I am going next week to a workshop on the tea bowl which is being done in conjunction with this show. There are visitors and ceramicists from Japan coming to the Harvard Ceramic Studio..they always do a great job.

Nagakura Ken'ichi b. 1952 Dancing Star bamboo and rattan 2008

This next painting is by Horace Pippin. One of my favorites. This is from the Museum of Modern Art, "collected" last fall. Pippin who was self taught, was crippled in the first World War and struggled to paint with his injured arm.

Horace Pippin Lady of the Lake 1936


Horace Pippin Country Doctor 1936

This is the painting, at the MFA, that I first saw years ago that totally charmed me. I hate to remind people of winter but the way he did the snow is a mastery of dry brush. And the greys are right on. Again, a must see in person.

I also visited the newly refurbished Addison Gallery of Art at Andover Academy, twice. The first time to see the new installations..another beautiful job..and it's free! Here's another classic American painting by a self taught artist.

John Fredrick Peto Discarded Treasures year?

Notice the price on these discards. Hopefully books will not be totally discarded in my lifetime.

Also at the Addison Gallery at a recently closed show, I got in trouble taking photographs. I have gotten so used to feeling free with my camera. I was collecting pictures from the Sheila Hicks exhibit for my daughter who was not able to go. Sheila Hicks' small works are like paintings. I liked the section I highlighted from this label. It's good advice for any artist, in any media. We get complacent with our choices.

Here's one of her larger pieces...so silky!

and...ironically, this little one is called self portrait.. The camera focused on me!..
On my last shot for the show I was accosted by a guard asking if I had permission.I lied..and said yes! I beat it out of there..feeling guilty all the way home. There is a beautiful book that goes with this traveling show so if you want to see more, check that out and research her on line at http://www.sheilahicks.com

This last picture of a person taking a picture, of a picture, is from my fall visit to Moma. I don't know if Gertrude approves, do you?

Susan Richards Woman Reviewing photo of Picasso's portrait of Gertrude Stein 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment