Saturday, July 24, 2010

Kingston Gallery



I have a show coming up the beginning of August, opening on the 6th at the Kingston Gallery (www.kingstongallery.com) and I am fussing with my picks. One of my paintings, Tomato, was also chosen to be part of the Blanche Ames Foundation Exhibition. That will be in September at Borderland in North Easton, Mass. I have visited the site and it's a beautiful park with a large house where the gallery is. Not having visited previous shows, it will be a surprise... but the location overall seems just right.

Here's another shot from my last visit to the garden.



It harkens back to the first painting I did that started me on the Garden Series of paintings.


This is called Flower for Manet.


There's a beautiful picture at the MFA of his favorite model with a brown background.


That painting along with the big Eakins show in the 80's pushed me toward doing portraits. I love the high contrast of the brown and subtle pinks and the sense of distance you get from the model.

I also love Manet's small flower paintings.




Which, by the way, he did as gifts for his friends. They would bring him flowers when he was ill, he would paint them, and give them back. So my painting is an homage as well as my attempt to start on a quest to "meet the master."

I am also going back to the beaches; Cranes, in Ipswich in particular, to take photos for new paintings of bathers. The winds were up again so I couldn't help but take more towel shots. A few here which could be reinterpreted in a painting and hopefully call to mind other references.


A shout out to friends and readers:
Enjoy the rest of this beautiful summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment